Sunday, April 12, 2015

Why Do People Create and Get Attached to Fictional Universes?

Love; an intense feeling of deep affection.
Reality; the world or the state of things as they actually exist, as opposed to an idealistic or notional idea of them.
Love and Reality are considered to be the two main components to keeping us human beings grounded. Since, given the definition of both concepts, love can only be achieved by reality. It is deemed to only exist within it. Yet, there seems to be a slight exception of this pairing to this logic. Given the opportunity of Genius Hour at my school, I have decided to research further into this intriguing topic that I am also guilty of.
Emotion towards a supposed non-existent character in a non-existent world.
Ever since I could remember, I was fascinated by any kind of well written fictional book or movie I could get a hold of. Growing up, I realized that I wasn't the only one. There are millions upon millions of literature for people to indulge themselves into and seemingly travel to another world. I often found myself feeling drastically towards these characters I admired and this lead me to where I'm typing right now; in a room surrounded by all types of literature that I could pick up anytime and everything would feel so vivid and intense, leaving me wondering just a simple question.
Why?
Why do we tear up at the thought of a character on a show we watch passing away? Why are we so transfixed on creating these universes for ourselves when we have a gigantic one we are perfectly in the center of? How does this impact our lives, our actions, our morals and our ideas? Why is it that some people can simply watch their show in the evening and carry on about their day, while others feel as if their life is dependent on watching the next episode?
Who knows?
Maybe I'll find an answer to this wondrous question over the next few weeks.

1 comment:

  1. I love this topic! Very eloquent post, I am very excited to see where you go with this topic. I think everyone has some sort of connection to a fictional character or world, yet most of use cannot explain why this is so important to us.

    ReplyDelete